- Go to your browser (Firefox, Safari, IE, Opera, etc.) and type, “skype.com” in the address bar (see below).
2. Click on “Download Skype” (see above).
3. On the Skype Downloads page, click “Download Skype for Windows” or “Download Skype for Mac” (It will choose for you based upon your computer).
4. (Mac) Once you click the download button, this screen will appear (see below). Follow the setup instructions on the screen, then click on “Join Us” on the upper right corner of the screen.
4. (Windows) Once you click the download button, this screen will appear (see below). Follow the setup instructions on the screen, then click on “Join Us” on the upper right corner of the screen.
5. Fill out the appropriate information indicated in the next two images (name and profile information). Choose a unique Skype name and a secure password. Uncheck the check box about marketing text messages (second image) – unless you want to receive spam text messages from Microsoft.
Also, you will need to enter the specific characters in the captcha (second image) – Microsoft wants to make certain you are not a robot.
Acknowledge the fine print/terms of service by clicking, “I Agree/Continue.”
6. Now close or minimize your browser and go to the Skype application on your computer. Click on “Skype name” (see below).
7. Type in your Skype name and password. Keep the check mark checked if you’d like your Skype account to automatically sign in when you open Skype (see below).
8. Click on “Contacts.” Then click “Skype Test Call.” This will make sure your sound is optimal for using Skype. Follow the verbal instructions (see below).
Click on “Add Contact” (see below).
9. Sending a contact request: Type in the name of someone you would like to contact. If you are having a Skype Session with Carol, type in, “Carol Bemmels” (see below). This will send a contact request to Carol, or whomever you wish to contact.
10. Accepting a contact request: When you receive a request, it will appear in your sidebar under the category “Recent” directly underneath “Home” and “Contacts.” Click on your new contact request, then click “Add Contact” (see below).
11. If you notice in the image above, the contact icon has a question mark – that is a pending contact. In the image below, the contact icon has a green check mark. That means the contact is part of your Skype calling circle. To the right (in the below image), you can see that the contact is online.
11. If you’d like to call that contact, click on the phone icon to make an audio call
12. Click on the video icon to make a video call
13. To make a call, open Skype, click on “Contacts” in the sidebar, then choose the contact you wish to call, then click on the video (or audio) icon.
14. To take a call from a contact you know, open Skype if it’s not already open (the call will appear within Skype with the contact name), then click on the video call icon or the audio call icon to accept.
* Skype, Microsoft, and Skype images from the website are property of and copyright of Microsoft, Inc.
For instructional purposes only
No copyright infringement intended